Monday, June 13, 2011

Auschwitz: another moving event!

      I don't put things about Judaism very often on this blog. That is probably because I was raised Christian -- Protestant, Congregational. But I began to question religious belief and dogma even as a late adolescent. Even in college I was searching for other spiritual answers. I took a course in comparative religion in order to try to get some answers. But then came medical school, marriage, children, and there was no time to seek or determine what I believed. I became somewhat of an agnostic. But I was tolerant of most belief systems as long as they were not intolerant themselves. Now I am actively seeking by becoming an integral part of a local small group of doctors, social workers, counselors, healers, a Jewish clergy, a Catholic priest, several Buddhists. We call ourselves SpiritMindBody Group. We take turns presenting items that have a spiritual value and we try to teach each other what we have learned. I am also the blog author for that group.
     Over my years of marriage to an Israeli Jew, I have come to identify with Jewish thought processes in many ways. Unlike many other religions, a Jew is a Jew is a Jew. He doesn't have to practice his religion to be a Jew. He is born one and remains one. There is a strong identity that connects Jews living today to all those ancestors that went before, all the way back to the Old Testament. And as I often tell my husband, "that fellow is one of your tribesmen."  Because they were originally a tribe and I think their identity still remembers that. I am not a Jew and will never be one, but I am about as close as you can get and still be goyim.
     Hence it is right and fitting that I have posted a moving remembrance here allowed by Poland to be held by Israeli Defense Force members and the Israeli Air Force at and over Auschwitz camp in Poland. It brought a tear to my eye. We received this URL site from a "tribesman" in South Africa, Clive, our guide for 6 days when we toured South Africa 3 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfv3jsLGzL0

Please do not offer any justification to the Holocaust deniers comments below by reading them. Ignore them!

Here is another Youtube video about Auschwitz that might be worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6d-aKJCUqY

No comments:

Post a Comment